For those individuals who are interested in making the UK their permanent residence, they will need to apply for a Settlement Visa. The Settlement Visa allows the spouse of an already legally settled person in the UK to make the UK their permanent residence as well.
In order to even apply for the Settlement Visa, you must be:
a) Lawfully married
b) Have proof that the main reason for the marriage was not so that you could live in the U.K.
c) Plan to live together on a permanent basis
d) Must make enough money together to support yourselves and any dependants in the U.K.
e) Must have adequate accommodation in the UK where you and your sponsor and any dependents can live
f) Must be over the age of 18
If you are applying for a Settlement Visa, you will need to supply us with the following documentation:
1. A fully completed and signed VAF-2 application printed out and paid for online
2. The sponsor (spouse’s) original birth certificate
3. The sponsor’s valid British passport or a notarized copy
4. The applicant’s valid passport – U.S.
5. Two recent passport-size photos
6. The marriage certificate issued by the official local registration authority/county recorder’s office bearing an official seal or stamp. Also, if necessary, proof of legal termination of any and all previous marriages of the applicant and/or sponsor (death/divorce certificate) and if there are any children from a previous marriage(s) evidence of custody and or permission from the courts allowing the children to reside outside of the USA, together with their birth certificates (original or notarized copies only) NOTE: Only children under the age of 18 may accompany their parents to the UK for settlement.
7. A letter or statement signed by the sponsor requesting that the applicant be granted entry clearance for settlement as a spouse, giving a brief background information on the relationship and confirming his/her intention to live together permanently as husband and wife.
8. Evidence that adequate accommodation will be available in the U.K. for the applicant, the sponsor and any dependants (rental or ownership documents or a letter from a real estate agent confirming that property is being sought) If this is not the case, an undertaking by family and friends in the U.K. that they will provide accommodation until permanent accommodation can be found is also acceptable.
9. Evidence that the sponsor and the applicant together have adequate funds to support themselves and any dependants in the U.K. Copies of current bank statements for the past three months or more for accounts in the U.K. and the U.S.A. A letter from your employer in the U.K. confirming employment and salary.
PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS PLUS COPIES OF ALL REQUESTED DOCUMENTS THAT SUPPORT YOUR APPLICATION.
PLEASE NOTE THAT OTHER DOCUMENTATION MAY BE REQUIRED, I.E. EMAILS, LETTERS, PHOTOS, ITEMIZED PHONE BILLS. PLEASE BE PREPARED TO PRODUCE THESE ON REQUEST.
It may be necessary for you and your sponsor to attend an interview at the Consulate office. We will let you know once your application is received whether an interview is necessary. If the sponsor is unable to attend, an interview with the applicant will be sufficient.
Once you have gathered all of your documentation, you will need to ship it or hand deliver it to us (hand delivery is only available for customers in the Los Angeles area) so that we can submit your application to the Los Angeles British Consulate the following business day.
We also require customers to submit a pre-paid shipping label from Fed-Ex, UPS, DHL or the Post Office so that we can ship all documents back in a timely manner.
Our fee to expedite your UK visa is $150.00. We accept personal checks, money orders or cashier’s checks.
Please send your application package to:
Allstar Passports & Visas
5455 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 2117
Los Angeles, CA 90036